Sunday, November 28, 2010

When in Doubt, Look Back

A couple of years ago, I remember when I was having a hard time feeling like I was making any progress in my life and moving forward. Having been a recovering perfectionist, I often found it difficult to see my progress, because I would focus on what more I had to do and not what I had already achieved.

So often it seems we do this in life. We look at where we are headed and we only find what more needs to be done, not all that we have already done - even when we may only have 1 more thing to do and yet have accomplished 99 things. It is funny how that is.

Now don't get me wrong, sometimes when we live in this way, we end up getting so much done and achieving a lot! But sometimes at the expense of living and at moments we get so caught up in it that we get lost in it all and can't seem to see straight.

I remember back to that moment a few years ago, when a friend told me to stop, pause and look back a year in time to remind me how far I had come. As I did so, I remembered where I had been a year before and how lost I had seemed at the time and how much further I had come, how much more clarity I had in my life and how much happier I now was. It was all in just taking a few moments to collect myself, acknowledge all that I had experienced and appreciate the big accomplishments and the little moments that got me to today.

Some may ask, wait a minute, look back? What about being present and looking to the future and letting go of the past. However, sometimes in order to appreciate where we are and where we are going, we have to acknowledge and accept where we have been.

For this holiday season, I ask that we all do the same during this busy time of year. As you look forward to the weeks and months ahead and begin thinking about the year 2010 and all that you did and did not accomplish on your list and all that you hope for 2011, may you take a deep breath, take a moment to pause and reflect on how far you have come in the last year.

Remember to cherish what you really appreciate, recognize what you accomplished and truly acknowledge yourself. Consider what you would/will do differently as you move forward and remember to thank yourself and those you love for being there with you through the journey. Perhaps in doing so, may you find a few moments of pause and peace during the holiday season to appreciate all that is and all that YOU ARE!

No comments:

Post a Comment