Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hooray for Earth Day!

Man must feel the earth to know himself and recognize his values.... ~Charles A. Lindbergh

As I woke up this morning, I remembered it was Earth Day! As I found the quote above, I thought about what I am doing today and how much more every day I am beginning to know myself - it is a conscious and intentional journey. I make it a priority to regularly walk the beach and feel the earth to remind myself of who I am and why I am here.

I also began to think about the implications of Earth Day and what it means for our generation and those to come. There is a lot of damage being done. It will require each of us doing our part - big or small - to undo the damage to our planet. For those of us without children, what is the legacy you want to leave behind on this earth? For those with children, think about how your actions today will impact their lives and the lives of their children and future generations.

I regularly get to experience how active the younger generations are around issues of taking care of our planet and reversing the damage our generation and the generations before us have committed on this earth. The Millenial generation is the most socially and environmentally active and conscious generation. I have heard it said, "Millenials are making it happen!" Let's hope so. But it is going to take more than just one generation to create the change necessary to put our planet back on track.

What can you do today? More importantly, what can you commit to doing every day to make a difference for our planet and create a better world for tomorrow? Dupont took a step to be a part of the solution by putting over 6,300 computers and monitors in sleep or standby mode when not in use and has seen significant monetary savings and reduction in energy use! What if we all commit to doing one more thing every day to contribute to the solution, rather than the problem! Commit to something small and make it a habit! Let us all be contributors to "making it happen," with the Millenials, so we can leave them and future generations an earth they can continue to call home.

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ~Native American Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment